When I was growing up, my mom was a teen mother. She had me when she was just 17

When I was growing up, my mom was a teen mother. She had me when she was just 17, and didn’t want much to do with me. So, my grandparents and my aunt Sue, who was 20 at the time, ended up raising me.

Aunt Sue had been dating a man named Michael for five years, and they were supposed to get married, but they broke up before it happened. Michael wasn’t related to me, and he and Aunt Sue never got back together.

Even though they broke up, Michael stayed in my life. He didn’t seem to have a regular job, so he’d come by my grandparents’ house often. Sometimes he’d take me to Funworld, the movies, bowling, or even the plumbing store to get parts for the house. He would sometimes take me to a bar (it was the 80s) or to McDonald's. His car was always messy, with trash everywhere, and he was always low on gas. He even let me drive his car when I was only 8.

We’d visit his mom, who was nice and always gave me treats. Michael would often call me on the phone, and we’d talk for hours about school gossip, teachers, and just silly things like making songs about kids at school.

Michael never knocked on the door, he’d just walk in, and my grandfather would joke about it. My grandmother would make him tea with extra cream and sugar, and he’d try to talk to my grandfather, though it usually ended in a political argument.

He always bought me great presents for birthdays and Christmas. One year, he got me an Atari, and later on, he bought me a bicycle, a trampoline, a Sony Walkman, a big fish tank with tropical fish, and even a dog named Sammy. He always gave me expensive gifts.

When his house was built in the woods, we’d look for salamanders and wolf spiders. I remember one time he brought me a salamander in a butter container, but my grandmother accidentally left it in the sun, and it died.

He helped me win a granite collecting competition with the neighbor kids by bringing me a bunch of old granite from some houses he worked on. I definitely won after that.

He even bought one of the ugly flower arrangements I made when I was about 9 or 10. It stayed in his house for years.

On Father’s Day, my grandmother made sure I gave him a gift, and when I got married, I gave him back the fish tank he’d bought me when I couldn’t keep it anymore. My favorite fish, Trash Can, lived for 15 years and passed away when I was in my 20s.


Looking back, I realize Michael never did anything inappropriate or hurtful. He was like a big kid who never grew up. I don’t think I’d be okay with an older man showing such interest in my own daughter, but with Michael, I was lucky. He was a huge part of my childhood and early adulthood, and he showed more care and interest than a lot of fathers do for their own children.

After my grandparents passed away, we lost contact. He’s not on social media, and I don’t think he lives in the same house anymore. I often wonder what happened to him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She Went to Dog-Sit Before Her 22nd Birthday. Minutes Later, Her Life Changed Forever

She Was Only 13 When She Vanished From Her Father’s Car — And No One Has Seen Her Since

A Four-Month-Old Baby Went to Daycare for a Nap. The CCTV Footage Revealed Something His Parents Never Expected.

She Was Only 13 When a Stranger Murdered Her Parents and Took Her Away

Seven Years After He Vanished, Joshua Maddux Was Found Inside a Chimney

The Last Picture of Kris Kremers Before She Vanished Into the Panamanian Jungle

Remembering Dandara dos Santos — A Life That Inspires Change

From 1940 to 1944, Corrie ten Boom and her family used their home in the Netherlands as a hiding place for Jews who were fleeing the Nazis.

After Mom’s Death, Son Accidentally Finds His Childhood Pic with Her and Boy Who Looks Like Him

"MY MIL WENT CRAZY AFTER I GAVE BIRTH — SHE ENDED UP STEALING MY DOG!

Popular posts from this blog

She ran him over twice, stepped out of her car, knelt beside him, kissed him — and then st*bbd him nine times

“The Forgotten Photograph: A Glimpse Into the Shadows of Nazi Cruelty”

In April 1981, the body of a young white woman was found in a ditch on Greenlee Road in Newton Township, Ohio.

This historic photo has never been edited – have a closer look and try not to gasp when you see it

An American named Steve McNeld posted a photo of himself with his grandmother in a coffin

MY 16-YEAR-OLD SON WENT TO STAY WITH HIS GRANDMOTHER FOR THE SUMMER – ONE DAY

CCTV Captures Horrifying Moment Weightlifter Tragically Dies After Freak Accident in Gym

That was the sentence a German commander gave me when I was sixteen years old.

A Jewish woman runs from men and youth with clubs during the Lviv pogroms in 1941.

At 5:40 am on January 7, 2025, Thomas “Duncan” Callens was captured on surveillance video at the Old Bull Market