Days After My Spinal Surgery, My Husband Called and Said, “I Hope You Understand Why We Couldn’t Be There.”
Days After My Spinal Surgery, My Husband Called and Said, “I Hope You Understand Why We Couldn’t Be There.”
For three days, I waited for my husband to walk through the hospital door. I told myself there had to be a reasonable explanation for his absence, even when every explanation became harder to believe. The surgery had taken almost five hours, and when I finally woke up, I couldn't move without feeling as though someone had driven a hot wire through my lower back and into my hip. My surgeon had warned me that the first few days would be difficult, but he had also told me that I would need support while I learned to move again. I believed that support would come from my husband. Ethan had been the person I expected to see when I opened my eyes. Instead, my father was sitting beside my bed, holding my hand, while my friend Tessa slept awkwardly in a chair near the window. Ethan had sent a message several hours earlier: “You'll be fine. Call me when you wake up.”
Three days later, I was standing beside my hospital bed with both hands wrapped around a metal walker while my physical therapist, Jenna, watched me take my first serious steps. My legs felt unfamiliar, almost as though they belonged to someone else. Every movement pulled painfully through my lower back, and I had to concentrate on something as simple as placing one foot in front of the other. “Slowly,” Jenna told me. “Don't fight your body. Let it adjust.” I took one step, then another. By the fourth step, sweat had gathered along my forehead. I was exhausted, embarrassed by how difficult walking had become, and strangely proud of myself at the same time. Then my phone began vibrating on the tray beside the bed. I looked over and saw Ethan's name on the screen. For several seconds I simply stared at it. Jenna followed my eyes and asked if I wanted to answer. “I suppose I should find out whether I'm still married,” I said, trying to make it sound like a joke. She didn't laugh. Instead, she helped me sit down carefully and stepped outside, giving me the privacy I suddenly needed.
I let the phone ring almost until it stopped before answering. “Hello?” I said. “Hey, Nat,” Ethan replied. His voice was warm and cautious, but there was something else underneath it that I couldn't quite identify. He sounded like a man checking on someone after a minor illness rather than a husband calling his wife three days after spinal surgery. “How are you feeling?” he asked. I looked at the walker beside my bed and then at the rain sliding down the hospital window. “My spine feels like somebody rearranged it,” I said. He gave a nervous laugh and started to say something about the surgery, but I stopped him. I didn't want medical explanations from the man who hadn't bothered to be there. I wanted to know why he wasn't sitting in the chair across from me. I wanted to know why my father had driven four hours to the hospital while my husband had apparently found somewhere else to be.
“I hope you understand why we couldn't be there,” Ethan finally said. I remember the exact way those words sounded because they changed the way I looked at him. “We?” I asked. He explained that he meant his parents and his sister, Olivia. It was Olivia's thirtieth birthday, he said. The rooftop venue had been booked months earlier, people had traveled from different cities, and deposits had already been paid. Then he reminded me of everything Olivia had been through since her breakup with Trevor. I listened without interrupting, although I could feel something tightening inside my chest. Olivia had become the center of every family crisis during the previous six months. Her three-year relationship had ended, and everyone seemed to believe she needed constant attention. I had been there for her too. I had answered her late-night calls, brought groceries to her apartment, listened to her cry, and once driven forty minutes because she was upset about a dining table she and Trevor had bought together. I had never complained because she was family, and because Ethan always reminded me that family was supposed to show up when someone was struggling. Now I was beginning to wonder why that rule seemed to apply only when the person struggling wasn't me.
“My surgeon operated for almost five hours,” I reminded him. “I know,” he said. “Do you?” I asked. “Because when I woke up, Dad was sitting beside me. He drove four hours. Tessa took time away from work and slept in a chair because she didn't want me waking up alone. You sent me a text telling me I would be fine and asking me to call you when I woke up.” Ethan became quiet. I could hear voices in the background on his end of the call, followed by the sound of glasses and laughter. Then I heard Olivia's voice. I didn't need to ask where he was. He was at her birthday celebration. Three days after my operation, while I was learning how to walk again, my husband was surrounded by the same family members who apparently hadn't been able to spare a few hours to sit beside me in the hospital.
“You're making this sound worse than it was,” Ethan said. I looked down at my hands. “I had spinal surgery,” I replied. “You know what I mean.” “No,” I said. “Actually, I don't.” He sighed before telling me that Olivia needed them. I thought about all the times I had heard those words. Olivia needed them. Olivia was having a difficult time. Olivia couldn't be alone. Olivia needed family. I had always accepted it because I loved Ethan and because I believed that being married meant understanding the things that mattered to your spouse. But as I sat in that hospital room, I realized I had spent years confusing understanding with accepting everything. “So did I,” I said quietly. Ethan immediately called my reaction unfair. That word stayed with me. Unfair. Apparently, expecting my husband to be beside me after spinal surgery was an unfair request because his sister had a birthday party.
The truth was that I had been terrified of the surgery for months. My condition had deteriorated to the point where my surgeon no longer recommended waiting. He had explained that delaying the procedure could increase the risk of permanent nerve problems, and Ethan had been present when we discussed it. He knew how frightened I was. He had held me when I cried in the bathroom one night and admitted that I was afraid I might wake up unable to walk. He had promised me I wouldn't face it alone. I remembered those words now with an uncomfortable clarity. He had meant them when he said them, or at least I had believed he did. Perhaps that was what hurt most. The promise hadn't sounded false when he made it. It had sounded sincere. Somewhere between that moment and the day of my surgery, however, something had changed.
I asked when he was coming. His voice became lighter, as though he was relieved that the difficult conversation was ending. “Tomorrow morning,” he said. I looked at the discharge folder on my tray. My doctors had already signed the paperwork. I would be leaving the hospital the following morning, but I knew I wasn't ready to return to the house I shared with Ethan. I needed somewhere quiet, somewhere I could recover without wondering whether I was inconveniencing anyone. “No,” I said. He didn't understand. “What do you mean, no?” I told him not to come. His voice immediately became sharper. He reminded me that I was recovering from major surgery and that I needed someone to take care of me. The irony almost made me laugh. I had needed someone to take care of me for three days. He simply hadn't been there.
“My discharge paperwork was signed an hour ago,” I told him. There was a pause before he asked if I was coming home. I looked through the glass panel in my hospital room door and saw my father standing in the hallway. He had been there that morning, helping me eat breakfast when my hands were too weak to manage everything comfortably. He had never once complained about the drive, the uncomfortable chair, or the hours he had spent waiting. He had simply shown up. “No,” I told Ethan. “I'm not coming home tomorrow.” His voice changed immediately. “Then where are you going?” I hesitated before answering. “Dad is taking me somewhere.” Ethan became angry and accused me of making a decision while I was emotional. I listened quietly because, strangely, I no longer felt the need to defend myself. I wasn't disappearing. I wasn't abandoning anyone. I was simply choosing a place where I could recover without having to pretend that everything was fine.
Before ending the call, I looked down at my wedding ring. I had worn it for ten years. I had never removed it during an argument, no matter how angry I was. I had never taken it off during difficult times because I believed that marriage meant staying, even when staying hurt. That afternoon, however, the ring felt heavier than it ever had before. “Ethan,” I said, “do you remember what you told me the night before my surgery?” He was quiet. “You told me I wouldn't face it alone.” He said he remembered. “I believed you,” I said. “That's the part I can't stop thinking about.” He tried to explain himself again, but I stopped listening. Not because I hated him. I didn't. That would have been easier. I simply couldn't hear another explanation without remembering the empty chair beside my hospital bed.
I ended the call and sat quietly for a long time. Outside, the rain continued falling, and the hospital corridor became quieter as visiting hours approached their end. My father eventually came into the room and asked whether I was ready to leave the next morning. I told him yes. He didn't ask what happened during the call. He didn't need to. He had probably heard enough from my expression. As he helped me arrange the few belongings I had beside the bed, I noticed my wedding ring was still sitting on the table. I picked it up, turned it between my fingers and finally put it back on. Not because everything was forgiven, and not because I had decided to stay. I put it back on because I wasn't ready to make a permanent decision while I was still recovering from surgery.
At least, that was what I told myself.
What I didn't know then was that Ethan had left the birthday party shortly after our conversation. I didn't know that he had called his mother. I didn't know that Olivia had asked why he suddenly looked frightened. And I certainly didn't know that the reason my husband had been so determined to explain why the family couldn't attend my surgery had very little to do with a birthday party.
I would discover the truth two days later.
And when I did, I finally understood why Ethan had sounded so nervous when I asked him where he had been.
The birthday party had not been the reason he stayed away.
It had only been the excuse he thought I would believe.


Comments
Post a Comment